Over 60 Years of Experience and Growth
Metals, Inc. history dates back to 1945, when Mr. Edmond L. Weber
founded an open die forging business in Paramount, California at the site where
the company operates today.
Mr. Weber's earlier years included operating a metal scrap business. He saw an
opportunity to serve the aluminum forging needs of the growing West Coast aerospace
industry. Douglas Aircraft Company and The Boeing Company were his major end use
customers. Today, this customer base is still a significant source of Weber business.
The business grew in the 1950's and 1960's as the aircraft builders moved from military
programs to commercial programs. In 1974 Mr. Weber died, leaving the company its
three open die presses to his wife, Mrs. June Weber. She managed the company until
1979, selling it that year to Otto Fuchs Metallwerke.
On the sale date, the company employed sixty people, occupied eight buildings totaling
122,000 square feet on eleven acres of land. The three "Open Die" forging presses
in place at that time are still in use today. Total shipments in 1978 were approximately
$5,000,000. Otto Fuchs Metallwerke purchased the company with growth in mind. They
supervised the installation of hydraulic presses for both "Open Die" and "Closed
Die" forgings (ranging from 1650 to 5000 tons) between 1980 and 1982. The 38,000-ton
"Mesta" Closed Die press was constructed during this period and began producing
parts in 1982. Weber Metals produced our first "Closed Die" forgings in both aluminum
and titanium during 1982. Sales grew to $14,000,000 that year and employment reached
112 people. Weber Metals made significant capital investments since 1982 to expand
our capabilities in processing, cutting, finishing and testing our products.
Weber Metals continued to grow throughout the 90's as a major supplier in aluminum and titanium forgings to the Aerospace Industry. The facility has grown to 283,773 sf. Through specialized product line growth, alliances with other forging companies, and growth in market share in aerospace structural parts, annual sales topped $100,000,000 by 1998. Today, even with significant declines in the Aerospace Market following 9/11, our sales have grown to approximately $135,000,000 and we employ more than 300 people. Our company continues to invest heavily in education training of personnel, upgrades in equipment, modernization of facilities, new forging capabilities, and applied research in materials and forging technologies to provide forgings of the future, today.